Tuesday, August 23, 2011

We Had Everything But Money

I bought this book at a yard sale a few weeks ago.  It's a compilation of stories submitted to Reminisce Magazine by people who lived through the Great Depression/Dust Bowl days.  


(OK, I tried to put a picture of the book here, but can't get it to work, sorry.)


Gosh, I don't even know what to say about this book.  It should be required reading for all Americans, I think.  These stories are so sad in some respects, but so very heartwarming and uplifting in others.  These are people who, despite desperate times, kept their head up high, worked hard and did everything they could to help their friends, family members and neighbors to ensure they all survived.  There are accounts of children selling items to help their family, secret packages of food and gifts being left for people who would never accept a hand out knowingly, families moving in together and of course people working hard to grow their own vegetables, fruit and meat because if you have that, you eat well no matter what else is happening.


That's probably one of the things that rings most true to me.  I grew up with fishing and hunting and a garden being a part of our life.  Back then I didn't think much of it, it was just how we did things.  Now, as an adult, I know that my parents were pretty darn smart!  Dad was self-employed and Mom worked off and on in different fields, but no matter what, we had food in jars and in the freezer to fall back on.  


If you've read this blog at all up to now, you'll immediately recognize that I emulate these things in my life, for many of the same reasons, to have good food available at all times, to know how it's prepared and that it's safe for my family to eat it.  It's sort of funny to see things coming full circle in your life, both personally and as a country.


I also learned several ideas for reusing things even more than I do now!  I'm pretty good at reusing, but man, these people are PROS, I tell you!  This book makes me even more proud to be an American.


If your library has it, consider picking it up and reading it.  It's a great book.  I bought it with the intent that I'd read it and then either resell it or donate it, but I'm keeping it instead!  lol.  I know I'll be reading this one again and again.  

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I just read a free Kindle book called "Face the Winter Naked". Fiction, but it does give you an appreciation for what we have now-a-days.

Going to have to see if they have that book at the library or on Paperback Swap online! Thanks for the idea.

Hills N Valleys said...

I wanna find that book! my parents grew up during the depression and over the years I have become so intrigued on all things in that era. I remember even now my grandma always making do with what she had. THAT is what we have been striving to do lately.

BrokenRoadFarm said...

Sounds a lot like the Foxfire books I have been reading. I will have to check it out - thanks for the tip!!