Saturday, October 15, 2011

Think I'm going to make a doctor appt

I'm not a doctor person.  I'm blessed in that I rarely get sick with anything serious, so I usually go to the doctor about once a year for my annual 5000 mile tune up  check up and to get my allergy prescriptions renewed again.  Last year was an exception because I had a kidney stone.  Yay me.

Anyway, I'm due for my annual testing, so it's time, anyway, but I'm thinking something else is going on.  I'm just exhausted lately.  No energy, which is translating into no excitement for my volunteer stuff and a grumpy me.  I've always ran towards low iron, so I've been taking iron pills for literally years and years.  I've always been able to stay on top of it enough to still donate blood and pass my yearly exams, sometimes barely passing, but that's OK.  Lately, though, I'm just so tired.  I think maybe the iron pills aren't keeping my level up or something.

I don't sleep well when I do go to bed, so I'm sure that plays into it, too.  Hubby stays up later than I do and he tries to be quiet, but he always wakes me up coming to bed and it's not easy for me to fall right back asleep.  Then you add in his grandmother who gets up to go to the bathroom a couple of times during the night and she turns on all the lights that are on the way plus manages to somehow slam both her bedroom and the bathroom doors shut and I'm awake even more.  If any of the kids need anything, I'm the one up with them.

If we had any extra rooms in this house I'd seriously consider putting a bed in there just so I could sleep hopefully undisturbed at least every now and then, but there's no room here to do that.

So, I need to see what's going on.  It's ridiculous that by 5:30 in the evening I'm pretty much ready for bed.  Still have a million things to do, so can't GO to bed, but boy would I like to some days.

On that note......good night!

4 comments:

Tami said...

Good idea to get checked out. Could be iron or thyroid related.

I'm closing in on 50 and have had on and off sleeping problems for a year. An older friend suggested melatonin supplements. I started taking them a month ago and I've never slept better.

Good luck!

Tina - Our Rustic Roots said...

I've heard of melatonin before, will look into it. Thanks!

Erin said...

Definitely go to the doctor so they can rule out anything treatable, being tired is terrible, I've been there and still am lately. I unfortunately entered perimenopause early while in my 30's still and that was/is the cause of mine, so I'm anxiously awaiting that to be over finally so I can start accomplishing things again!

Tina - Our Rustic Roots said...

Thanks, Erin. I'm wondering if I have something similar going on as my cycles have been off the last few months. Well, they've never been perfectly normal and regular, but they've been even more off than 'my normal' so I'm curious.

Appt is in a couple of weeks. Will let you know what I find out.