Saturday, April 21, 2012

Wounded Warriors

We met a group of Wounded Warriors last year.  These are active duty Army men and women that were injured while deployed.  Injuries ranged from missing limbs to brain injuries, abdominal destruction due to blasts, etc.  Horrific stuff.

Yet these people had the BEST attitudes of anyone you'll ever meet.  There was not a one of them that wasn't humble, funny, determined and SUCCESSFUL.  Several of them were wounded in the same incident on one day that they call "the day that sucked!"  The man who was most seriously injured was their medic, go figure.  He jokes that they fixed him first because they like him the best.  Their response is that they had to make sure he lived so he could tell them how to fix each other up.

See what I mean about their sense of humor?  :)

I could go on and on about these people, we consider them extended family and I hope they are OK with that label.  ;)

Right now I want to shout and brag, though!

Three of this group have been cleared to return to their units on full duty!  They are thrilled and we're thrilled for them.  I'm so happy for them that it brought tears to my eyes when I heard.  This is what they have been working for hard for and it's happening for three of them within the next few weeks.

I have NO doubt that more of them will be following in the next year.

Did I mention how amazing these people are??!?!?!

2 comments:

hoosier girl said...

Very inspirational! What a difference a good attitude can make.

Erin said...

That is awesome some are getting to go back to full duty! How neat to be able to meet some of them and really connect, and hats off to their families, I'm sure they have a lot to do with their great attitudes, we can all learn from that :)