Monday, April 9, 2012

Morel hunting

It's morel season.  The odd winter may or may not have messed up morel season, it depends on who you ask.  Time will tell, I guess.

I'd never even heard of morels until we moved up here.  It's a BIG thing here.  Highly prized for eating but also highly priced if you want to sell some.

We went morel hunting.  Of course, we have no idea what we are doing, so basically we went walking in the woods, which is a favorite thing to do for all of us.

We went out two days.  The first day we spent probably 3 hours walking and looking.  The second day we spent probably 6 hours out walking.

Our grand total:


One yellow morel.  That's not my picture, I got it online.  I didn't have a camera with me.

Yep, one morel.
We found some gorgeous creeks and two ponds, saw squirrels and rabbits and tons of deer tracks.  We also had picnics and just spent time outside enjoying the weather, nature and each other.  Wonderful.

Lest you feel sorry for us because of our small 'haul,' here is a partial list of the treasures the boys brought home:

a deer jaw bone complete with teeth
3 deer vertebrae
turtle shell
old Coke bottle
shiny rocks
fishing bobbers that had been caught in trees at the creeks


Oh!  I have to tell you this story, too.

We told the boys we were going to go mushroom hunting.  Youngest son replies:
"But, Dad, I can't shoot a gun!"

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Love the gun comment! I've never had a morel, so you're one up on me! Enjoy it, every last teeny-tiny bite! :)

Ashlee said...

Hahaha, that gun comment was great. I love the things that kids say. They crack me up!

We used to go morel hunting when I was little, and we had the most retarded dog. Seriously, I am not even joking. He always had the bad habit of getting too excited about being in the woods and ALWAYS stomped on the biggest shrooms! I hated that dog!

hoosier girl said...

Sounds like quite a haul! We've been once this year, it was too dry for them to pop up though. Love walking in the woods anyway!