Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Another family death

I just found out that my Aunt A passed away over the weekend.  She had cancer.  I didn't know.  When I was a kid someone in that side of the family was always *fueding* with someone else, so I can only remember one Christmas where everyone (I think, anyway) was together.  After I got married and moved away they finally all started to get along, but I was then out of the loop.

So, this is the second aunt on that side (Dad's side) to die from cancer in a year's time.  My Mom has had cancer twice, too.  I always tell my doctors that this is why I request the screenings religiously, it's more a matter of when, not if, I get cancer with the history both sides have.

Anyway, in the same email I was also told that my Uncle (on that same side, so A's sister) is in the hospital and not doing well.  He's fought heart issues for most of my life, probably a good 30 years.  He's had stints and valve replacement and leaking blood vessels fixed and who knows what else.  Now they say he's anemic and retaining water badly and they are concerned his organs may be starting to shut down.

I guess there's a good chance Uncle B will be next.

I'm glad they are all speaking now, just wish they had been when I was around, too.  I wouldn't know most of them if I sat next to them on a bench.

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

Oh Tina, I am so sorry for your loss. I completely understand what you are saying about when someone is feuding with another, the rest of the family is kept apart. I too am out of the loop in my family, but it is completely by choice. However, that does not make losses any easier.

I hope you are able to get to see some family members before they are all gone.

Erin said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, I know what you mean about the screenings, I have heart disease on both sides of my family so I always make sure I'm getting checked religiously