Monday, February 13, 2012

Excuse me while I whine

Ever have one of those months?

In no particular order:

I want to PLANT stuff!

Sick of sick kids.
And a sick hubby.

I need to have an outpatient surgery and hubby's work is beyond ridiculous right now, so it's going to have to wait, just no option on that.  On top of that, they do these types of surgery on one particular day of the week and it happens to be one of the two days of the week that I have an obligation......that day of the week, every week.  The next day is the second day.  lol

My vehicle has to go in the shop.  Dreading hearing that $.  Was hoping it was just the oil sensor but I think we're beyond that...so maybe the oil pump?  It is 12 years old, so something had to break sometime, I know, but still....  Guess I know what the tax return will be going for.

Mawmaw's drama.  Can I just say how much I can't STAND drama?!?!  She had a checkup today.  Blood sugar level was fine, her A1C was fine, blood pressure was fine, no need to adjust any meds.   Great, right?
Should have been.  I kid you not, though, she went from being just fine, giggling with my youngest son to the SECOND the doctor walked into the room looking all gloomy.  She's telling him how bad she feels, she's 'had this cold the whole time I've lived here and I can't get rid of it.'  Yeah, you've had a cold for a year and a half.  Never mind that this man sees you every three months and knows darn well that's a lie.  So he checks her, ask how she's eating and drinking, she lies to him about it, I bust her out and tell him the truth.  I told him she ate 1/2 of what I gave her for breakfast and threw the rest away.  She told me she ate lunch while I was out of the house but considering the fact that there were no dirty dishes anywhere, that was a lie.  I KNOW she didn't eat dinner because she was in bed asleep at 4:00, wouldn't get up to eat at 6:00 and I wasn't in the mood to mess with her because I'd have said something not nice at that point.  He lectures her about needing to eat and drink without me having to force her or fight with her.  She tells him she couldn't eat yesterday, everything was coming back up.  I was out of the house for about an hour.  She was NOT throwing up yesterday.  In fact, she's only gotten sick to her stomach once since she lived with us and that was her own fault for eating a bunch of sweets.  So he says, oh, you've been sick to your stomach?  "Noooooo."  I swear, you can't even keep your lies straight for 20 seconds!

He thinks she's a tiny bit dehydrated, no surprise there.  Not bad, but he wants us to buy a big bottle of Gatorade or G2 and for her to drink it over today and tomorrow.

I go buy that after we leave the doctor, take it in her room and 'pop' the top so she can turn the lid and open it (no hand strength to crack the plastic lid open on her own).  I remind her what he said, you have to drink 1/2 today and 1/2 tomorrow.  Just keep it in here for now and we'll put it in the fridge later on.

OK.

I go to the garage to get something out of the freezer for dinner and come back in and the stupid bottle is in the kitchen on the counter.  Completely full.

I'm writing to you all here for a bit because if I go in there with it right now I'm liable to dump it on her head!  I don't think that's the hydration the doctor had in mind.  ;)  lol

Thanks for listening, folks.  :)

6 comments:

Ashlee said...

Oh. My. Gawd. Why do old people do such silly things??? I, for the life of me, just will NOT ever understand that. Thanks for the Mawmaw laugh! And if you do dump the stuff on her, just make sure you use the white or clear gatorade so you don't have to spend too much time cleaning the carpets!

Side Note: my security word today is ishead... dumping stuff on heads? just a little laugh for myself :)

Erin said...

Oooh I feel you on that busy stuff, what happened to winter supposed to be "down time" and all that? Our car needs to go in too, and I'm scheduled for stuff all over and it's Valentine's Day and of course hubby's not here since he's launching jets all night, grrrr! Poor you with all that caretaker stuff, that would drive me batty with her blocking every type of help you try to give. Sending hugs!

emmythesquirrel said...

Dear me. I really think the no eating thing points to some form of dementia. Perhaps it isnt ONLY a personality issue? ?

Tina - Our Rustic Roots said...

I truly don't know, Emmy. The doctors so far think it's just her drama and selfish nature because if there are sweets around, she'll eat those until she literally makes herself sick. It's just when it's 'good' food that she wants to balk and refuse. So far they think she's after the attention that it gets her, same as they lying to the doctor about how she feels.....she's not an idiot, she KNOWS that he's going to check her out, she KNOWS that he can tell she's not sick.....but that lie gets her what she wants, so she does it.

Unfortunately, there's no real way around it, because the only way I can avoid the attention on her is to not make her eat, which would wind her up in the hospital (she's a diabetic) so I can't do that.

It's going to eventually reach the point where it's more than I can continue to deal with, though.

emmythesquirrel said...

Tina, I know you are in a really tough spot. Prayers for you! By the way, gorging on one particular food is also part of behaviors associated with dementia. I really think a trip to another neurologist may be in order. And again, bless you for caring for a most challenging person. Vent and 'whine' all you need for your own sanity. Dont for get to care for yourself too!!!

Hills N Valleys said...

You are a saint my friend. I know I deal with a lot with my son but I could NOT deal with what you are. What a blessing you are to her!